Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 27-11-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Radcliffe on TV

May have been posted before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up2mvz7y-Po
Old 29-11-2017, 10:14 AM

This video makes me feel very sad. There was an incredible sense of community in Radcliffe as people encountered their neighbours more than in other places because they had to leave their houses to bring water from the taps and visit the netty, so there was plenty of opportunity for a "crack" (our word for conversation). Also, as almost all the men in the village were miners, there was a strong sense of camaraderie engendered among these workers who daily faced harsh and dangerous working conditions. Despite the drastic lack of facilities Radcliffe was a great place to live. Unfortunately the authorities decided to destroy this community so coal could be extracted by opencast mining operations. As I said at the beginning of this rant: very sad.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:44 PM

Default Radcliffe great grandmother

Photo of my great grandmother Catherine Smith who lived at Radcliffe. Was known in the family as "The Radcliffe granny". I would think it was taken in Radcliffe but not sure, looks like a pit heap in the background, did Radcliffe have a pit heap like this? She died in 1951 when she got hit by a door blown by a strong wind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catherine Smith nee Raine Great Grandmother Radcliffe.JPG (72.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Looks like it was taken in one of the gardens in Dandsfield North with the heap in the background
Old 08-06-2020, 07:11 PM

Thank you, on my grandfathers death certificate it has her husband John residing at 37 Dansfield Place. Ralph died of the Spanish Flu 1918
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ralph Watson Death Cert 2 (2) - Copy.jpg (50.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-04-2023, 04:25 PM

Default Radcliffe

I was told that during the war all of Radcliffe's windows were blow out by a bomb, it was nicknamed The Holy City.

I believe there was a pit heap and a mine entrance, as I was told I was not allowed to go into that area.

I had an Uncle Baden Nicolson who lived at Radcliffe we would visit him often. He used to make lolly pop fruit baskets and beautiful pictures etc out of shells. He also used to go to the local schools to help with children with their craft work. When Radcliffe was torn apart he went into a Old Person's Miners bungalow in Amble.

I loved Radcliffe & East Chevington, all my family (Tom Beverley / Doreen Smith) came from this area. My Grandfather John/Jack Beverley has a fleet of buses that use to serve the mines (Beverley Private Hire). My Grandfather went on to run The White Hart at Alnwick and The Blue Bell in Amble.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:25 AM

I was brought up in Radcliffe. All you say above about the village is true. I remember Badon Nicholson well. He was a great bloke and an asset to the village.