Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Rothbury and Thropton

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 30-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Debdon Colliery

Another colliery with not much information online. This Extract from the Newcastle Courant 1806:

To be LET for TWENTY-ONE YEARS,
All that current-going and water-free Colliery, called DEBDON COLLIERY, situate near Rothbury,
in the County of Northumberland, together with a small field, called West-Dean Close, at Rothbury aforesaid,
consisting about 6 Acres and a half. The Colliery is to be entered to at May-day next, and the Field at Lady-day next,
For Paticulars enquire of Mr Thos. Taylor, at Newburn, Mr John Taylor, at Shilbottle.
Proposals directed to Messrs Smith and Taylor, at Alnwick Castle, will be received until the last Day of the
present Year, Security is expected for Payment of the Rent.

Alnwick Castle, October 16, 1806.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Doesn't look like it survived past the compilation of the 1867 Ordnance Survey Map data.

Old 30-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator

"Debdon Pit Cottage" marks the site on the current ordnance survey.

google view (that's not Debdon Farm in that image but "Debdon Pit Cottage")
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Default Debdon Colliery

A lifetimes work recording all the pits around here
An entry i have jotted down in my notes from Rothbury parish registers-
Ann Nichol, baptised June 1800, daughter of Matthew Nichol, Pitman of Debdon.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Debdon Pit Cottage

Hi all,
New to this forum, My name is Terry Thompson trying to trace my tree back, with a name like Thompson it is trying to look for the end of a match in a forest.

I had a relative aged 12, Name of John Thompson Living with the Bonner family at Debdon Pit cottage in 1841. I cant read his employment at the time.

I wondered if anyone has information of Bonner or Thompson at the cottage. 1841 is where I am stumped as I have no idea who his parents are and can't find a christening in Rothbury for him.

I know this lad was one of two Thompsons in the area that could be my relation. He eventually would have had a son called Edward Robert Thompson Born 1849.
Hope you can helpAll the best
Terry
Old 29-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Welcome to the forum

I haven't any info on Thompson or Bonner but the occupation on the 1841 census is "MS" or male servant. Not very helpful really.

I noticed that a John Thompson of Rothbury is married to a Catherine at subsequent censuses. There seems to be two possible marriages shown on the N/C Register Office search facility: Catherine Walker 1846 at St John's and Catherine Cook, 1846 at All Saints. A look at those should show a father for John?
Old 29-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Thank you for the help, when your told, you can tell :-).

I will investigate your suggestions, thanks, I had another Catherine as part of my guesses so I will carry on looking and get a few more certificates before confirming things.

Trying to get the wife to come up to Northumberland in the caravan so might get some local searches in for next year.

I live in Warwickshire and I am a part time curator at the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum ( when we reopen after the refurb) so if you need help for down here please dont hesitate to ask.
all the best
Old 30-10-2012, 11:37 AM

A caravan trip to Woodhorn could save you buying speculative certificates, they do have the Newcastle registers The birth certificate for their son would of course give Catherine's maiden name.

I noticed that a GRO search for marriages gives a possible John Thompson/ Catherine Charters marriage but the Newcastle Register Office search index shows that she actually married a James Kennedy.

Thanks for the Warwickshire offer, you never know.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Hi. Do you have a wider view of that map, taking in Thropton to the west. Just interested in seeing it. Or do you know the source so i could chase it myself.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM

The maps are often sourced from the Northumberland Communities website....http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/ If you look on the Rothbury page there's a section on ordnance maps but they don't extend as far west as Thropton.
Old 30-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A lifetimes work recording all the pits around here
An entry i have jotted down in my notes from Rothbury parish registers-
Ann Nichol, baptised June 1800, daughter of Matthew Nichol, Pitman of Debdon.
Hi Pete,
I note that you know all about the pits around Rothbury. Does this apply to the Elsdon Colliery to the west near Otterburn? I am looking for any photos of this pit. I have drawn a blank so far on line.
Cheers Richard Cox