Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
That's it!!!Just up and round a bit was a (I think)sweet shop?Also across from the chip shop was another shop which I think was electrical?Alan J to the rescue!!!
Electrical shop wa Tullys , then Marshalls electrical contractors , this is on corner Church st Wellwood street , Rolands had a butchers there at one time , Ronny Allen had fish shop where kens was , I understand that where garage at Youngs is that plot was bought by Gordon Oliver to build on , ???

There is a steam sawmill mentioned as being on Church Street owned by Thomas Lamb and a timber Merchant DM spence , wonder is originally what there prior to Ballantyne ,
Robin browns yard is mentioned as a joiners
interestingly a Niel Young Painter and Decorator Church Street and 4 coquet leases!

Last edited by leslie; 04-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Church Street in the latter 19th century was a very busy street lots of businesses fon it , even an Auctioneer in the old assembly rooms ???? Could that have been Ballantines premisses at a later date
??
In the 1897 gazette there are 22 trades, shops, businesses operating on church street (several different types run by same people ) including two schools

Last edited by leslie; 04-03-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Correct Brownknees, Tommy Tully's electricians shop was on the top corner. This shop has had many uses and is on one of the earlier Amble photos as Roland the butchers complete with poultry hanging outside. Just a few doors below this there was another small shop which was a sweet shop/jewellers/woolshop at various times and is now part of flats.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Just for interest anyone know where Beaconsfield Terrace is , R n G Carse listed as being there ??
Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Correct Brownknees, Tommy Tully's electricians shop was on the top corner. This shop has had many uses and is on one of the earlier Amble photos as Roland the butchers complete with poultry hanging outside. Just a few doors below this there was another small shop which was a sweet shop/jewellers/woolshop at various times and is now part of flats.
I had put in my post had Vauge memory of a shop there Sweets first as a kid , but then thought was I imagining it , so deleted , Mc innis is listed as having a Fruit /grocery shop on church street
Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Just for interest anyone know where Beaconsfield Terrace is , R n G Carse listed as being there ??
There's a Beaconsfield House (8 Wellwood St) so this may be a pointer to the past location.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 PM

On 1911 census there are 3 properties in Beaconsfield Terrace, one of them the Carses. I think it is probably the houses on that bit of Wellwood Street at the top of Queen Street/Church Street where Beaconsfield House is now.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Default Allen's fish and chip shop.

Alan J mentioned Tully's electricians shop at the top corner of Church street.
Am I correct in thinking that there was a Mr Hall with a cobblers shop up there
somewhere?
George Gray.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM

I can remember, I think it was Wright's the cobbler at the top of Church Street. Before that he had been round the back of Queen Street....you got to him via the archway next to the bank, Martins and then Barclays.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Hall shoe shop.

Halls had a cobblers shop there for years and it was taken over by Wrights after that. As jan says Wright was in the allotments behind Prospect Place/ Terrace in a hut at the bottom of the garden. Since then the shop has had a go at being almost anything you can imagine, video, cafe,sweets and at present a hairdressers.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:11 AM

From the back alley to the Waterloo you could at one time get into the rear of Kane's bakery and into the back door of Allens Chip shop.
Old 30-05-2014, 06:26 AM

Here is the back alley to bring back some memories. Please note how we have restored the shop front (in 2008) back to basically this design with a similar fascia. The glass shop window was smashed when the Radcliffe land mine went off, vandalism is noting new!! We didn't restore the patchwork block painting of the walls though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NFY60s.jpg (67.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 30-05-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 30-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Nice photo....so the blast from the landmine blew out windows as far away as Church Street
Old 30-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Nice photo....so the blast from the landmine blew out windows as far away as Church Street
We still have the receipt with the details for the war damage claim my grandad made!
Old 17-01-2015, 02:01 PM

Default Allan's Cafe

In the thread "Amble Old Caravan Site" Coquet has posted a page of adverts from 1969. One of these is for Allan's Café and gives the address as 11 Church Street. I vividly remember it as it was there that I was introduced to the delights of the spam fritter!
Old 18-01-2015, 04:06 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000

The flats mentioned as above the "chippy",there where some more a few doors up but I hesitate to call them flats!A schoolfriend lived there with his family and their living conditions were not very nice in fact my mother did not like me visiting !! I can remember bare floors and only a chair and table in the living room!
Old 25-03-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
My nephew has just sent the attached photo, apparently from 1965 of Allan's fish and chip shop and cafe in Amble. I must have a blank spot because I can't remember it at all....Gino's yes and the Harbour but not Allan's. Somebody will know where it was, I'm sure and help my addled brain
The photo is correct it was run by
Jackie Allen & Margaret nee McCloud
(Chirpies) locals used to call it
GREASEGUNS as you could use the grease off the chips
To grease the chain on your bike
I left Amble in1966 & it had just been taken over but
Can't remember by who
Old 26-03-2015, 03:59 PM

Default Fish & chip shop

The man who ran the chippy was Ronnie Allan, Jackie Allen owned the boatyard down on Harbour Road, which is where Dolphin View stands.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Tulley's / Marshall's Electrical Contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
That's it!!!Just up and round a bit was a (I think)sweet shop?Also across from the chip shop was another shop which I think was electrical?Alan J to the rescue!!!
Indeed there was an 'electrical shop'... first JT Tulley's, later Marshall's Electrical Contractors, the latter was my Dad's business (Ron Marshall). In his time it wasn't really used as a shop, more a store for smaller electrical contracting stuff, although he had an electrical clock in the window that proved very handy for kids on their way down Church Street to Dovecote Street School! He also used a storeroom down the lane from Wellwood Street about 20 yards from the corner shop for bigger stuff that wouldn't fit in the shop (ladders, scaffolding, cable drums etc). Ron Marshall (junior!)