Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Administrator

This is the list of those in Amble township on the 6th June 1841 born in Ireland. (All Labourers except the last)

Highly likely we have here a list of Irish Navigators working on the Harbour? There are also a number Scottish and English Labourers (not listed here); a percentage of which might also be working on the Harbour.

Anyway, unless a list of employees of the harbour construction contractor turns up at the archives, this is probably as close as we'll get to a list of the famous "Irish Navvies".

LABOURERS: IRISH BORN 39 NAMES

HILLARD, James 20
HEGAN, Thomas 25
DOWNEY, Thomas 25
GILPESPIE, Edward 25
MCCONNEL, Hugh 30
MCANALLY, John 25
CONNER, John 25
CURRY, David 35
BANNING, Peter 35
COSGROVE, Peter 25
COSGROVE, John 30
HAILEY, John 30
MULLY, Dannick 20
CAROLL, John 20
MULLIN, Hugh 40
CHAMBERS, John 40
ROME, John 29
MCCOURT, Barnard 25
MOREEN, William 20
CONNER, John 20
CONNER, Martin 20
CONNER, Thomas 30
MONAGHAN, John 15
GIBBON, Andrew 20
LAGGON, John 35
MALLON, John 25
DUNEVAN, Simon 30
LAGGOE, Hugh 30
WINDSLEY, Barnard 27
RICE, James 35
MURRAY, William 25
MURRAY, John 25
FIRMARIN, John 25
FIRMARIN, Patrick 20
MULLIGAN, James 20
HAILEY, James 40
MULHOLLAND, James 25
MARGIN, James 25
GRIFFITH, Rowland 50 (Mason)
Old 20-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Would Like to see a list of place names from the 1841 township:

here's a couple on a indenture dated 10th April 1841:

The Leazes

Fisher Row Close(s)

(This is between T.G. Smith and Dixon Dixon. I'll try and have a better read of it, but I get the feeling it's still in the High Street area as it mentions the Queen's Head.)

Old 20-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Irish Navvies

On the website page about Amble Manor House there is a reference from the Northern Catholic Calendar of the 1880s. It refers to the start of work on the building of the harbour in 1840 which brought to Amble a lot of Irish labourers. Many of them lodged in temporary wooden huts. Bet they didn't keep out the north easterly off the sea!
At the Northumberland Summer Assizes in 1843, two cases were heard linked to Amble. One was theft of money, by an Edward Laggin, from the Shanks family, innkeepers, for which he got 3 months hard labour, a previous offender. There is a different Laggin on the 1841 Irish list.
The second case was a death following a fight outside the Masons Arms "beer shop". The man who died was called Gilhespie, but not the one on the 1841 census. The accused, probably local, got 4 months hard labour.
I would imagine that Laggon and Gilhespie were both Irish, arriving after the census.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Interesting Stuff. I'll see if I can find anything more in the papers regarding the two incidents you mention. I have a feeling the town was like the 'Wild West' in the 1840's. There must have been some friction between the original Amblers and the migrant workforce too I bet.

The better half has the Amble "Chambers" in her ancestry. I'm hoping to prove a link to the Irish born Chambers above!
Old 20-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Administrator

EDWARD LAGGIN (40) charged With Having stolen ninepence, the property of John Shanks, on the 10th of June, at Amble, in this county, pleaded not guilty. Mr OTTER stated the case for the prosecution. It appeared that Mr Shanks keeps a public-house at Amble, and, on the day of the races, Mrs Shanks having been out of the house for a few minutes, on returning towards the bar she saw the prisoner, who had been working about the house four or five days before, coming from it, and on asking him what he had been doing there, and what he had taken, he said " nothing." He afterwards admitted, however, that he had taken 9d. in copper. He was found guilty, and, having been previously convicted, was sentenced to 3 months' imprisonment - hard labour.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default August 1843

WILLIAM HAWTHORN (25), was charged with the manslaughter of George Gilhespie, at Amble, on the 27th of May last.
Mr INGHAM, with whom was Mr SELBY, appeared for the prosecution; and Mr CHARLES WILKINS for the defence. It appeared the deceased, and a number of other persons, had been drinking at a beer-shop, called the Mason's Arms, at Amble, on the night of the above day, and remained there till an hour so late that they were refused any more drink. They had then come out, and most, if not all, of them being drunk, fighting commenced. Among the rest who were engaged was the deceased, who appeared to have been rather quarrelsome. One of the witnesses, the father of two of the young men who had been drinking, having, as he said, gone to the place to look after his sons, he saw the deceased knocked down, and saw him lying bleeding; but, although it was a moon-light night, and the prisoner has a wooden leg, he could not see the prisoner was the man who had struck. One of the sons of this witness said he saw Gilhespy the deceased, and a man named James Wood fighting. He saw them fight two or three rounds, and, when doing so, he saw Hawthorn, the prisoner, go forward and knock Gilhespy down. He (witness) had then ran away where there was another row, and it was when he came back, about ten minutes after, that he found the deceased bleeding profusely, and trying to crawl away upon his hands and knees. He was quite insensible and could not speak. He then assisted him towards home, and gave him into the charge of some of his (deceased's) partners. Deceased had been then brought to the house of James Welsh, with whom he had lodged, but he was quite insensible, and never spoke, and lingered on till the the following Friday, when he died. Thomas Thompson, a policeman at Warkworth, said that, having been made acquainted with the affair, he met the prisoner in Warkworth, when he (the prisoner) told him that on Saturday night, when he was at Amble, a person in dark clothes came up to him and knocked him down, and that he then took up a stone and struck the man on the head, and that when he struck the man dropped to the ground. The prisoner said he had acted so in self-defence. Mr Duncan, a surgeon at Amble, deposed to having examined deceased, and found an extensive wound at the back part of the head. Mr WWILKINS, for the defence, said that this was another evil effect of the want of education, from which ignorant men resorted to the public-house as a means of pleasure, and said that the whole offence was but another result of the deplorable effects of drunkenness, and contended that although it was proved that the prisoner had struck deceased, there had been no evidence to prove that the blow was the cause of death.
The jury having retired a short time, found the prisoner guilty, and he was sentenced to 4 months' imprisonment, hard labour, his Lordship remarking that the case was somewhat more serious than the previous one of manslaughter, but still that the prisoner had got much provocation.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Think I'll give the Masons a miss tonight.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Its only a beer shop after all!
Old 24-04-2012, 08:04 PM

The farm at the end of Marine Road belonged to my family and was where my mother was in fact born. It may be of interest to know that where the police station is situated now was the meadow where their cows were kept; apparently, because the meadow was so lush and sweet, people would travel from far and wide for the milk from those cows.

Last edited by Links Farm; 24-04-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:48 PM

When we moved into Melrose Gardens, at the bottom end, all of those houses had been newly built. There were fields behind the house, which I guess belonged to Links Farm.

My sisters and I would regularly hang out of our bedroom window to see our mother up the garden path, nightie, curlers and a broom, chasing the cows. It's behind you

So they were your cows!!
Old 20-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default Link House

I see this old lady we mentioned in this thread earlier this year is earmarked for demolition. Must be 18c this one. Another piece of old Amble gets the chop.

Looking at it though it's had a tough life. Nasty modern tile roof, unpleasant rendering, etc. Just a shadow of its former self.

Some nice settlement cracks there too. That was probably Mr. Taylor's mining activities

see:

Demolition of existing redundant residential building and associated garage. Extension and refurbishment of existing facilities building and provision of an outdoor multi use games area. | Amble Links Coastal Retreat and Holiday Park Links Road Amble Morpeth NE65 0SD

Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
It would be fascinating to overlay a transparency of modern Amble on top. It looks like the river was Leazes st, Ladbroke st and around below Bay View. A lot of land looks to have reclaimed when the harbour was built.
http://communities.northumberland.go...s/004852FS.jpg

This link takes you to the first edition 6 inch to 1 mile OS map from 1960. It does indeed show the high water mark following the line from the little shore, up parallel with Ladbroke St, Newburgh St and Leazes St. to the dock. I think it is probably behind where the houses are now. Apparently the ships taking coal from Amble would arrive with sand ballast in them for stability and this would be unloaded and dumped in this area towards the little shore.

The farm at the end of Marine Rd is shown as Link Cottages. It does not become Amble Link Farm until the OS second edition 1997.

I found it interesting that the "Amble Township Plan 1840" showed the railway from the Quarry following the same route as above, then crossing the river and onto the North Pier (presumably for its construction). I have heard of such a railway but have not come across any evidence before.
Old 22-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Multiple occupancy in 1841 mentioned earlier in this thread does not appear to have improved much by 1901:

12 persons living in a single room?

Shields Daily Gazette 06 March 1901

OVERCROWDING AT AMBLE

REMARKABLE FIGURES

At the monthly meeting of this Council yesterday, some remarkable facts were brought out by the Council's Surveyor with regard to overcrowding at Amble. In the course of his statement he said there were 106 single roomed tenements in the town, 14 of which were occupied by one person to a room, 25 by two persons to a room, and so on a graduated scale until they had so many houses at six persons up to twelve persons to a single room. There were some very bad cases, even with three to a room, where the third person was a lodger. With regard to the domestic sanitary conveniences, two or three glaring cases had come under his notice. In High Street there was a house with 5 tenants; the total number of persons living here was 25. An exactly similar case was to be seen in Byron Street. Cliff house was another case where four tenants lived in one house. After prolonged discussion on the subject, it was decided to write to the owners of the worst cases to have them put it right.
A deputation waited upon the Council with a view to urging upon its members the necessity for adopting the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890. They made lengthy speeches, the burden of which was that Amble stood in need of homes better adapted to the requirements of working men.
A somewhat lively discussion followed, and it was eventually decided to again take matters into consideration. Councillor Rutherford gave notice of motion of the adoption of the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:04 PM

From about 1901 - 1911 ish there were 14 (twelve kids) living in a small flat above the Co-op butchers at the bottom of Queen st (now the CO-OP Funeral Home) I know because grandma was one of them! Great uncle Frank said to me once that as long as he could count 12 pairs of feet sticking out of the blankets their father was happy they were all in for the night! Kids being kids it was a good job he didn't look too closely at who the feet belonged too I am told.
It must have been quite a happy upbringing as he told me lots of other stories of the mischief they used to get up to making their neighbours lifes interesting to say the least around Queen st.
Old 23-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Perhaps those tales of kids stacked up and sleeping in drawers have some truth about them after all!
Old 23-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Overcrowding was with us a lot more recently than the 1901-1911 period. Until the council house building boom after the second world war started there were numerous places in Amble where it prevailed until the late 40's early 50's. I was brought up in an upstairs flat in Church street which was only two rooms, a living room and a bedroom. These flats are now made into complete houses but then there were several families of parents and as many as four children in those two rooms. The outside toilet in the yard was shared by both the up and down flats. The children of today wouldn't recognise these conditions.
The only council housing prior to the post war building program was Westfield Estate which had been built in the 1920's to house the people from Victoria Place which was slum clearance.
Old 23-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Overcrowding was with us a lot more recently than the 1901-1911 period. Until the council house building boom after the second world war started there were numerous places in Amble where it prevailed until the late 40's early 50's. I was brought up in an upstairs flat in Church street which was only two rooms, a living room and a bedroom. These flats are now made into complete houses but then there were several families of parents and as many as four children in those two rooms. The outside toilet in the yard was shared by both the up and down flats. The children of today wouldn't recognise these conditions.
The only council housing prior to the post war building program was Westfield Estate which had been built in the 1920's to house the people from Victoria Place which was slum clearance.
It's easy to look on the past with rose coloured spectacles, 'til you read stuff like that.

On the subject of Church Street, where was the Drill Hall? In the WW1 stuff we have collected it gets a mention as the old Drill Hall. This article from Oct 1914 mentions it as well:

MUSIC HALL AT AMBLE

Mr. Joseph R. Tuck applied for a licence for the Drill Hall, Church Street,
Amble, as a music and dancing hall. The owners had been at considerable
expense in putting the pace right, so as to comply with the requirements.

Supt. Bolton said he would like some of the magistrates to visit the place. He
did not wish to take any responsibility upon his shoulders in regard to it.

The bench decided to adjourn the application till the next court at Amble on
November 13th, so as to allow them an opportunity of inspecting the place.

Old 23-11-2014, 11:13 AM

I believe Ballantines workshop, on the corner of Church and Middleton streets, was used by the Percy Artillery Volunteers, forerunners to the TA, as a drill hall. It was also an auction saleroom amongst other things in it's time.
Old 23-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Ah right. I was also wondering who would have used a Drill Hall prior to WW1, of course our old friends the Percy Artillery Volunteers.