Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 22-04-2014, 02:43 PM

All I can remember from the late 40s is that at the end of north street you went down to the "gut"(How did it get that name?)and there where stepping stones across to the "braid".All along this stretch were old boats and the detritus from fishing boats ,also the RAF launches were opposite and could be reached by the adventurous!Maybe Alan j can add a little ,I am sure he and I were there together!![/QUOTE]Found this pic in a 1950/60 tourist info booklet , of west jetty there is the hull of a RAF launch in mid picture, moored at the jetty the older Barge that the dredger used towed by Tug to dump dredgings off the Pan Bus in the far river view you can see the wood structure and the green hut , in the hut when we were kidsGeorge Gray will remember this , there was another launch in disrepair we used to play on it! if remember rightly it had twin Rolls Royce engines , I think it may have been a servicing shed !!!!???? the wood structure off shore from it jetty Moorings for them on south side ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amble 1950s 002.jpg (50.7 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by leslie; 22-04-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

I remember that view well the West jetty then looks in remarkably good repair. That RAF launch was good to play on as you could conjure up many different games, the only drawback was the mud you had to cross to get there. It involved a lot of cleaning up before you dared to go home!!
Old 22-05-2014, 04:42 AM

Boy the stepping stones that brings back memories from way back. they would end just short on the far side and you would have to jump the gap or bring rocks for the Amble side. Lots of memories of wet shoes