Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default McAndrews' book

Well it has joined us.

The Battle of Coquet Island. I like the idea of that. Pity the Scots won, and it was the English Civil War!

And that botanical list. Just wow. I think they are in fact all growing in my allotment.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Well, that's quite an addition to the site, well done Coquet.

Has something gone awry with the section on Radcliffe Colliery??
Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Well, that's quite an addition to the site, well done Coquet.

Has something gone awry with the section on Radcliffe Colliery??

Yes in my copy that is how the text appears. So there is a typographical error with a sentence part repeated and likely something missing as well. Have you a copy handy? is it the same? I'm not sure if it went to a second edition, if so then perhaps it was corrected? I'll add a scan of the actual page below so you can see it.

On the subject of copyright expired books I have the Percy Artillery records book , which gives some history up to 1899. A good few names of officers mentioned, including the 'usual suspects', Clutterbuck, Lamb, Widdrington, Dand et al. Bit more of a challenge to convert to a web page due to tables and lists. I had a bit of a dabble and it took about 10 hours to do 10 pages! 83 pages in all. I've put it on the back burner for now and switched back to the WW1 casualty lists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcandrews_error.jpg (141.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM

I have a copy of the 1912 book and a reprint dated 1996 and they are both the same as yours.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
I have a copy of the 1912 book and a reprint dated 1996 and they are both the same as yours.
I suspected it would be. His intended paragraph is lost forever unless someone has his original manuscript.

The original was written about 20 yards for where I'm sitting now.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default The Lost Footpath

I noticed one of the plates in the book shows an old footpath at Beal Bank. Perhaps it connected around to the Butts and St Lawrence at some time, a short cut for the Amble folk on a sunday. By coincidence a 1915 dated oil painting just sold by Anderson and Garland (Newcastle Auctioneers) appears to show the top of this footpath.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...d-a4370108c2fe

Old 21-02-2015, 08:15 PM

Yes I believe there was a footpath at one time. There was a gap in the fence half way up Beal Bank as well but I never dared to explore down it! I have tried to identify a path by canoeing up along side the rock face below but it looks dodgy!!
But also you must remember that the water level of the river is now constantly a lot higher since the weir was built in the sixties, no more mud flats like Alnmouth.

Last edited by hollydog; 21-02-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 22-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Administrator

The banks are much steeper there now? river has nibbled it away over the years I think.
It looks like it had metal railings, I guess they are lying on the river bed now.

I had a look on the 1911 census for the painter of the saleroom picture Anthony Graham; he was from Boulmer House, Alnmouth, occupation "Painter (Artist)" aged 62, living on own account, wife Alice Mary, no issue.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Administrator

McAndrews mentions a 6' seam of coal called the Eelwell or Beadnell coal. There's a 4'9'' seam at about 23 fathoms on this log at Seahouses. (drilled 1823!)

Not much on Beadnell colliery (closed 1897) on the Durham mining museum site.

I assume that seam has thinned by the time we get to Shilbottle? I don't think it is very far below the Shilbottle workings, if it exists at all over here?
Old 20-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I think Anderson and Garland must only sell pictures of that particular view of Warkworth!

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...8-a45700cf44a1