Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 18-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up The wynd

Hello again

Although I've dipped in and out of the website over recent months I haven't posted anything here for a while.

I am still researching the Straker family, Amble natives since the late 19th century.

I still have cousins living in the area but I would like any information anyone might have on the family during the early part of the 20th century. I know they lived on the Wynd, various family members lived there right through to the 1920s, and I would be grateful for any information.

I am particularly keen to have information on the recruitment of the men from Amble for WW1 - most, if not all, the Straker boys signed to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Maggie
Old 18-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Try this the 1926 register it is alphabetical street list of occupants of houses then, Several strakers listed living on wynd , hope this helps as a start point!!
http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...read.php?t=251

Last edited by leslie; 18-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 19-08-2014, 09:49 AM

Hi maggie. Hope you are well

My grandfather Oscar Straker married Hilda Pretoria Green and they lived down the Wynd, as far as i know, grandad was born down the Wynd, they had 9kids, Brian, Jack, Alwyn (my dad born in 1926), Neville, Trevor, Twins June & Jerry and two more sister Shirley and Audrey.

Grandad Oscar was the manager of the gas works down the Wynd and my dad stepped into his shoes later on. When the gas works closed the family moved on and there were a few of them that went to war in world war 2, i don't know anything about the strakers for world war 1 to be honest.

My dad Alwyn went into the coldstream guards, uncle jack went into the navy, uncle jerry was in the army but i don't know what regiment, i am not sure about the other brothers, i know trevor was the youngest so wouldn't have been in the forces.

Hope this information helps you in some little way
Old 19-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Audrey or June, can't remember which, sweet talked me into joining the Amble Coquet Lights Jazz Band when it started. I didn't last long. I'm still terrified of kazoos to this day.

One of the above (June?) delivered the (co-op?) milk with an electric float for years on end I seem to recall. (dredging the bottom of my memory here)

There's a old gravestone in Felton St Michaels to a William Straker 1736. Would not be surprised if there is a connection there. It's not a very common surname.

post 14 in this thread has a picture of the stone.

Quote:
i don't know anything about the strakers for world war 1 to be honest.
One of them was a gallantry medal winner
see this thread: Charles Straker, SS Chevington
Old 24-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Default The Wynd Mineral Water Factory

I am putting together a time line for Burton and Richardson Mineral Water Manufacturors and have a prticular interest in the Wynd

The first evidence of the partnership is an advert in the Morpeth Herald of 19 November 1892. This is for the letting of four and half acres of 'good garden ground'

The reply address is The Wynd Amble .. Is this the field to the NE of the foot of the Wynd?

Are there any photographs of the old buildings which appear to have been redeveloped?

Robin

Last edited by Burton descendant; 03-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 24-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaidhn View Post
Hello again

I am particularly keen to have information on the recruitment of the men from Amble for WW1 - most, if not all, the Straker boys signed to the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Maggie
Have you looked at the CWGC website
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx
There are some 28 Straker men who died in the UK forces.

There is also a Pension record surviving for William Straker of Choppington age 25 in 1915 of the Northumberland Fusiliers

Robin
Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 AM

Default The Wynd

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I will be in touch with you all shortly.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Default June Straker

Quote:
Audrey or June, can't remember which, sweet talked me into joining the Amble Coquet Lights Jazz Band when it started. I didn't last long.
It was Aunty Junie (as we called her) who was a milk woman all those years, and always had a bag of salted peanuts lol.

And guess what, i used to be the Band Major of the Coquet Lights then went on to be the Drum Major, what a small world huh