View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM

My grandfather Alec Johnson(Spittal and Berwick Johnsons) served in WW1 with Northumberland Hussars Cycle Brigade. An affiliated regiment of The 15/19th Kings Royal Hussars! The 15th ( The Gay Hussars, gay meant something else in Regency times!! ) were very active in most of Peninsular war battles, Most Famous for regiment is Sahagun 21st Dec 1808, I had in my hands last month a pair of medals The Peninsular Medal several campaign bars including the rare Sahagun bar and to the same Hussar His Waterloo Medal A rare honour ! a dream to own them ! the Fifteenth were also involved with the notorious Peterloo Massacre, (Not talked about in regimental circles) The only involvement in the Crimea was that Capt Nolan was A 15th Light dragoons attached to the Staff of General Airey, Nolan of Charge of The Light Brigade Fame! The 15th were first British Army regiment to be awarded a Battle Honour Namely EMSDORF , 14th July 1760 during Seven Years War.. within a year of being raised by Elliot(Gibraltar)The 19th Were Predominantly in India . Their Famous honour Is ASSAYE September 23rd 1803 with Wellesley(Wellington) during the Second Anglo Maratha Wars, He said that Assaye was the bloodiest battle he fought! The Nineteenth hold the rare honour NIAGARA for their Actions in 1812 war US /Canada, the only british regiment to do so (I believe). Proud to have served in a historic regiment! No Battle Honour for campaign I served several tours of duty in! The longest campaign carried out by the British Forces nearly Forty Years! at great cost of life!

Last edited by leslie; 04-03-2015 at 02:50 PM.