View Single Post
Old 30-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Coquet, are you referring to drainage south of The Carrs? If so, are these not drainage pipes from Newborough Colliery. Not only the colliery waste spill was removed by opencast mining. However, as I said in a previous post this drainage system ended outside the borders of opencast operations and likely to cost far too much to remove and for no benefit at the end of it. I cannot deny there may be older drainage in the same area but would mining records possibly reveal what lies there?
However, it does reach the sea within a stones throw of recent excavations, on which you provided valuable information earlier this year for site members. The two could be connected.

Hi Derilda, this is Amble Beach as Hollydog mentions, sorry I forgot to include the precise location in the earlier post. The water out of this appears to be contaminated with red ochre as associated with mining. Not sure why that is. The ground it is draining probably underlay Hauxley pit heap at one time, that perhaps something to do with it.

here's the location anyway (sorry pic quality not good, only had my pocket camera). This is looking south from the middle of the 'big shore' or 'Amble beach' if you keep walking in this direction for 300 yards you will reach the more modern outfall pipe of the now defunct Hauxley Colliery surface pumping station.

That ancient drain's walls are just visible in the pool in the midground.