View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I was at the National Archives (LDS London Family History Centre) yesterday browsing the Shilbottle parish register as you do when I came across an entry for George Slater, a WW1 death on Shilbottle war memorial.

Now I've transcribed the date of death as 1915 but I notice CWG has 1916 and apparently they are saying because they can't identify a grave at Shilbottle they will be placing a headstone there. Anyway:

October 7 1915 (1916?): George Slater, Shilbottle driver (A56, burial plot?), aged 25. Died in Graylingwell War Hospital, Chichester after active service in France. (Army Service Corps, died 3 October)
As a living relative of George Slater I was contacted by the CWGC in November last year. Apparently their Regional Supervisor has visited Shilbottle Churchyard but as there are no plans of the Churchyard he could not locate the actual grave. A headstone bearing the inscription ‘Buried elsewhere in this Churchyard’ will be erected in a suitable location by the middle of this year, not the same as marking his actual resting place but going some way towards righting the mistake of 1916.