View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
It would be fascinating to overlay a transparency of modern Amble on top. It looks like the river was Leazes st, Ladbroke st and around below Bay View. A lot of land looks to have reclaimed when the harbour was built.
http://communities.northumberland.go...s/004852FS.jpg

This link takes you to the first edition 6 inch to 1 mile OS map from 1960. It does indeed show the high water mark following the line from the little shore, up parallel with Ladbroke St, Newburgh St and Leazes St. to the dock. I think it is probably behind where the houses are now. Apparently the ships taking coal from Amble would arrive with sand ballast in them for stability and this would be unloaded and dumped in this area towards the little shore.

The farm at the end of Marine Rd is shown as Link Cottages. It does not become Amble Link Farm until the OS second edition 1997.

I found it interesting that the "Amble Township Plan 1840" showed the railway from the Quarry following the same route as above, then crossing the river and onto the North Pier (presumably for its construction). I have heard of such a railway but have not come across any evidence before.