View Single Post
Old 17-03-2016, 10:14 AM

A couple of years ago I picked up a summary of the history of the Amble schools, so bear with me while I put it all down here

Early Evidence:
- Barn in Gibson Street mentioned as a school in 1834. It had been in existence for some time before that;
- the next school was in a cottage on the Wynd;
- a school in Victoria Street and one in a cottage next to the Wellwood Arms.

Private Schools :
- later in the 19th Century;
- one over the confectioner's premises at 30 Queen Street in existence prior to the Boer War, closed in 1902;
- Mrs Kinnear's establishment at Kiln Bank House.

Main Schools:
Began in second half of 19th Century;
- Public School built by ratepayers' subscriptions on land given by Smith of Togston provided in 1854, "The Lonnen School";
- About 1850 a school had opened in Queen Street, later moved to North View;
- Following the consecration of St Cuthbert's church in 1870, the Rev Lawson of Longhirst Hall gave land between the north side of the church and Queen Street for a school (Cross Street). The church school began in 1872 with a new wing for infants being added in 1878. Prior to its completion classes were held in the assembly room in Church Street;
- new school built in 1899 in Dovecote Street and named the Medd Memorial Schools after Amble's first vicar and proponent of education in Amble. Cross Street became the Church's infant school;
- school in existence near Ship Inn about 1860;
- Catholic School built 1879;
- the former Wesleyan chapel became the Gibson Street Wesleyan Elementary School.

1902 Education Act:
- New council schools were vested.

1936 Reorganisation:
- Medd Memorials Schools (Dovecote Street) became a junior school;
- Edwin Street was a senior school (aged 11+);
- Cross Street became infants school.

1949:
- Secondary Modern School on South Avenue opened (building work had stopped during war);
- Edwin Street became the junior school;
- Medd Memorials School (Dovecote Street) closed.

- Local Education Authority took over the Medd Memorials School (Dovecote Street) for use as an infant school;
- Cross Street closed.