View Single Post
Old 29-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Administrator

On the subject of human remains found at Amble, I read this last night in Frederick Moffatt's book "A Tap at the End of the Raa" (hopefully I've not exceeded fair use here):

"Amble has a number of strange things, but one of the oddest was the discovery of what became known as "The Amble skeleton on the beach". A holidaymaker from the caravan site was walking along the beach when he found a human skull, well above the watermark. He reported it to the police,(of whom I was one at the time) and they unearthed a complete skeleton of a girl aged about 14. At first it was thought to be fairly recent and a murder enquiry was commenced; among a number of items unearthed was a locket with the picture of a young girl inside, probably the deceased, and dozens of parents wrote in when the picture was published in the national press, all hoping that it may have solved their problem of a missing daughter. Eventually, scientists did a radiation scan of the bones, and it was decided that it was much older than had been thought. The matter was the subject of a BBC 2 documentary in which I took part, when the discovery was reconstructed. To this day however, the "Skeleton on the Beach" is unsolved. Who was she? "

I do recall this, but cannot remember the year. I do not recall the BBC documentary - can anyone here remember it?

There was a story at the time that an Amble priest had disappeared in the 19c at the same time as a young girl. But I guess this was just some sensationalist rumour? Or was it?