Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1903 building in Red Row (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=528)

Coquet 05-09-2015 09:28 AM

1903 building in Red Row

A question for the southerners.
Spotted this one on rightmove. What was that originally? Looks like it's converted from commercial property?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-51513343.html

streetview:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...ca27e8!6m1!1e1

Alan J. 05-09-2015 04:23 PM

It was the Red Row CO OP, the "Store", up until the 80's or so. Also contained the managers house.

Coquet 05-09-2015 06:02 PM

I should be able to remember that building it but it's gone from my memory unfortunately.

Now who has a photo of that side of the street?

Just picked up a 1st World War medal to a recipient from along that way. William Kinghorn, a steamroller driver in a Road Construction Company of the Royal Engineers. Lived 38 Swarland Terrace.
One of my ancestors, Anthony Richardson, also live there, No. 2 Swarland Terrace, and served in the Labour Corps in WW1.

Coquet 05-09-2015 06:13 PM

On the subject of Swarland Terrace, a good number of houses were demolished there? am I correct?

Coquet 05-09-2015 06:49 PM

here's the maps:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/imag...ce_red_row.jpg

Coquet 05-09-2015 06:52 PM

So Swarland Terrace 'West' got part demolished?

CW google maps

Coquet 05-09-2015 07:08 PM

There is a terrace or something on the 1866 map on the corner of the East Chevington road which has gone by the 1898 map. Mysterious. Anyone know anything about that?
Perhaps the first part of Swarland Terrace was 'modern' housing built to replace that old terrace?

Alan J. 06-09-2015 08:32 AM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the demolished Swarland Tce houses, which were mostly, if not all, colliery upstairs and down flats. In the 70's when opencast was commenced to the West of Red Row the houses stared showing signs of instability. One story I heard was that the opencast had disturbed flooded old workings which caused movement so affecting the properties. whether this was the fact or not it is an interesting theory.

Coquet 06-09-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan J. (Post 5503)
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the demolished Swarland Tce houses, which were mostly, if not all, colliery upstairs and down flats. In the 70's when opencast was commenced to the West of Red Row the houses stared showing signs of instability. One story I heard was that the opencast had disturbed flooded old workings which caused movement so affecting the properties. whether this was the fact or not it is an interesting theory.

That might explain why that area has not been built on again.

Coquet 06-09-2015 01:43 PM

Here's the Northumberland Land ownership map (Local Authority land that is). That plot is council land, the wooded area between the old Grey Arms site and back down to the remnant of Swarland Terrace West.

Looking at borderlad's picture I can remember the Grey arms but not the old extent of the terraces, memory failure again. (but if they went in the 70s I can be forgiven)

John@theDrift 08-09-2015 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this is the part of Swarland Terrace which was demolished in the 70s
Wish I knew who these old timers were, bet they could tell us a story

janwhin 08-09-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 5496)
Just picked up a 1st World War medal to a recipient from along that way. William Kinghorn, a steamroller driver in a Road Construction Company of the Royal Engineers. Lived 38 Swarland Terrace.

William Kinghorn is on the Absent Voters List. I've just counted the number of men on the AVL from Swarland Terrace. By my reckoning there are 40. So many men from a small street, shows the impact of the war on communities.

Coquet 08-09-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 5516)
William Kinghorn is on the Absent Voters List. I've just counted the number of men on the AVL from Swarland Terrace. By my reckoning there are 40. So many men from a small street, shows the impact of the war on communities.

And the total number will be higher again with casualties and men discharged before the AVL

Coquet 08-09-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John@theDrift (Post 5515)

Nice. Tightly packed chimneys. 8 per stack? Wonder if they are the flats Alan mentioned? Of course it was normal to have fireplaces in the bedrooms. Still have ours.

janwhin 09-09-2015 06:37 PM

The bro in law reckons that end of the terrace came down about 1965.

Coquet 09-09-2015 06:52 PM

It's ok for me not to remember then if it was 1965 :o

I had a look through the newspaper archives to see if there was any mention of the construction of Swarland Terrace - and perhaps the demolition of the row/terrace (if that is what it is) opposite the Smithy in the 1866 'Proto-Red Row' map; came up with nowt. (apart from lots of adverts for a dentist at 79 Swarland Terrace)

Coquet 09-09-2015 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the subject of subsidence, the Coal Authority shows a pair of seams outcropping right on that spot, so perhaps the workings were very old that caused the problem. (outcrop = purple bands below, the cross is an Adit filled in in 1983, no mention of its age, but nothing is shown on the OS maps online of any age. That Adit is probably in someone's back garden? :) )

janwhin 10-09-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John@theDrift (Post 5515)

John, the bro in law thinks one of them was a chap called Crinkley. The two on the left look like brothers to me, definitely related.

janwhin 10-09-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 5520)
It's ok for me not to remember then if it was 1965 :o

I had a look through the newspaper archives to see if there was any mention of the construction of Swarland Terrace - and perhaps the demolition of the row/terrace (if that is what it is) opposite the Smithy in the 1866 'Proto-Red Row' map; came up with nowt. (apart from lots of adverts for a dentist at 79 Swarland Terrace)

The earliest reference in the St John Chevington burials to Swarland Terrace is in October 1895 when there were a couple of deaths. Spookily, one was called Crinkley:eek:

The Willows makes an appearance in the following year, so maybe built around the same time?

janwhin 10-09-2015 03:05 PM

The newspapers in 1899 mention that MORE houses were going to be built at Swarland Terrace.