Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Amble and Hauxley (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Amble Womens Institute (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=276)

hollydog 05-09-2013 05:57 PM

Amble Womens Institute

1 Attachment(s)
This wood framed, hand ink written list of Presidents has been hidden at the back of our workshop since who knows when. It is currently gathering dust, therefore, if anyone can give it a loving home they are quite welcome to it.
It possibly came to us to be reglazed but was never collected.

hollydog 08-09-2013 07:18 PM

Come on 56 have so far looked at this, surely someone wants to give it a good home? Please not on e-b*y though!

Coquet 08-09-2013 11:10 PM

Nice piece of social history. Ideal place would be hanging on the wall in the council offices.

I would take it but I'm supposed to be de-cluttering. I'd get a thick ear if I turn up with any more stuff.

I think if you gave it to the Amble lifeboat day organisers they would have sold it on their stalls on the day (hopefully to an Amble home) - but that has passed for this year.

Coquet 08-09-2013 11:21 PM

The 1947-51 President was Mrs Aisbitt.

wonder if she was the wife of F/Lt Aisbit[t] in charge of the Amble Air Training Corps Cadets at Acklington Aerodrome summer camp in 1943?

Log Book 26th August 1943:
At 1300 hours Brig. Gen Riddell (Inspector N. Region A.T.C.) arrived with Major Hornby to inspect the A.T.C. Summer camp. A detachment of Amble Squadron was in camp under command of F/Lt. Aisbit. Brig. General Riddell expressed himself well pleased with all arrangements for camp and instruction and discussed the difficulties experienced in getting air experience for the Cadets. He intimated that and effort is being made to obtain more communication aircraft for this purpose.

Coquet 08-09-2013 11:44 PM

1920's Sarah Richardson was the wife of Edward Duncan Richardson, Painter and Decorator, lived 7 Gibson Street.

janwhin 09-09-2013 10:42 AM

Was the Women's Institute that ? green building up Percy Street? I remember having a party there in about 1965.

Alan J. 09-09-2013 03:25 PM

Correct janwhin, it was used for all sorts of activities, wedding receptions, birthday parties etc. as well as the Women themselves having regular whist drives and other functions.

MBA 02-10-2013 01:25 AM

I spent allot of time in that green hut with my Grandmother. My brother had his 21st Birthday party there too.

MAGS 09-02-2016 08:41 PM

Do you still have this ? The Women's Institute has just been re-formed and I'm sure the group would be interested. Thanks

JaneA 23-03-2016 12:39 PM

Mrs S Aisbitt was my grandmother, Sarah Aisbitt, and her son Bruce Aisbitt, my father, was in charge of the ATC cadets during the war. She was the widow of Tom Aisbitt a butcher on Queen Street and Bruce was a teacher in Amble and then Alnwick and they both lived from 1948/9 at 27 Bede Street where I was brought up and where my mother, Helen Aisbitt, lived until 2001.

Coquet 24-03-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneA (Post 6261)
Mrs S Aisbitt was my grandmother, Sarah Aisbitt, and her son Bruce Aisbitt, my father, was in charge of the ATC cadets during the war. She was the widow of Tom Aisbitt a butcher on Queen Street and Bruce was a teacher in Amble and then Alnwick and they both lived from 1948/9 at 27 Bede Street where I was brought up and where my mother, Helen Aisbitt, lived until 2001.

I think the ATC were regular visitors to RAF Acklington during the war. Another entry in the record book July 1943 mentions your father. (related to the mention above?) Must have been very interesting for the cadets to see a station at war:

July 6 1943 "At 1800 hours a conference of Section Commanders was held in the S. Ad. O's office to discuss matters relating to the forthcoming ATC Cadet Camp at the Station. The Station Admin Officer presided and F/Lt Aisbitt (ATC Liaison Officer) attended. The chief purpose was to work out an effective programme of instruction by means of the help given by various technical branches."

JaneA 28-03-2016 05:27 PM

Thanks

Interesting. Thank you.

karen waugh 02-01-2017 05:27 PM

WI picture

Hi there, I am the President of the newly formed Amble WI and we would love to give this a home. If you could message me. I could call around
Many thanks,
Karen Waugh

hollydog 02-01-2017 10:10 PM

Hi Karen, I originally posted this over three years ago,it was in very poor condition in the garage, but seems to have disappeared, I'll try and track down what happened to it.

karen waugh 02-01-2017 10:14 PM

thank you xxxx